Moisturization for beautiful, healthy-looking skin.
Solution Related Products
Help repair and moisturize dry skin with our collection of uniquely formulated skin care products.
Made with highly effective natural ingredients, these nourishing AVEENO® products moisturize, soothe, and help repair dry skin, leaving it naturally beautiful and healthy looking.
Does your skin feel dry?
Nearly everyone will experience dry skin at some point. It is commonly caused by environmental factors such as cold temperatures and low humidity. Other reasons you can have dry skin are related to:
- A history of certain medical issues
When skin is healthy, it contains moisture-rich water, oils and lipids. If your skin becomes flaky, dry and itchy, it is likely not retaining the moisture that it needs.1
Tips to keep your skin hydrated
Did you know that the level of humidity in the air can affect the water content of the outermost layer of your skin, the epidermis? So, when the humidity drops, you may have to switch up your skin care routine. Your skin also gets its moisture from the environment, food, liquids and skincare products. Here are a few ways to keep your skin hydrated:2,3
- Avoid long, hot showers or baths — limit yourself to 5 or 10 minutes and use warm water and a gentle, fragrance-free cleanser.
- Moisturize while your skin is still damp. Ointments, creams and lotions work by trapping existing moisture in your skin. Keep your moisturizer close to the shower or tub and use a generous amount after you wash.
- A humidifier can add much-needed moisture to the air and help keep your skin from getting dry.
- Wear fabrics that are gentle on your skin. Natural fibres, such as cotton and silk, let your skin breathe.
- Incorporate healthy fats into your diet. Fish, walnuts, olive oil, and avocados are good choices.
- Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water!
Choosing a moisturizing product for dry skin
The best products for dry skin have a combination of moisturizing ingredients that stop the itching, prevent water loss and restore skin hydration.
- Look for soothing ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, dimethicone, glycerin, mineral oil and petrolatum. Baby products for dry skin should also include these ingredients.
- Enjoy 24-hour soothing protection for your dry skin with AVEENO® Daily Moisturizing Lotion, formulated with moisture-rich colloidal oatmeal and emollients. After one use your skin will feel soft, smooth and have a naturally healthy-looking glow. It’s also free of fragrance and non-greasy. Get noticeably healthier-looking skin by pairing it with AVEENO® Daily Moisturizing Wash. It helps to replenish your skin’s natural moisture barrier as you cleanse.
- For your face, try the AVEENO™ POSITIVELY RADIANT® line of facial moisturizers. And for an extra boost of hydration and glow, use it with the AVEENO® MAXGLOW™ Infusion Drops, which can be dropped into your facial moisturizer or used alone.
Watch out for…
Products that can irritate dry, sensitive skin:
- Deodorant soaps
- Alcohol-based toners
- Products that contain fragrance
Chemical exfoliants in anti-aging or acne treatments:
- Glycolic acid
- Salicylic acid
- Benzoyl peroxide
Strengthen your skin’s microbiome
Think of your skin’s microbiome as a barrier wall that protects everything beneath it. It lets in water and nutrients and keeps intruders out. If you have dry, itchy skin, your microbiome is more prone to getting out of balance which can lead to redness, itching and dryness.4,5
Your skin’s microbiome needs to maintain certain bacteria for healthy looking skin. Look for skincare products that contain prebiotics that encourage the presence of good bacteria, like colloidal oatmeal.6,7
Don’t forget to treat your hands and feet!
- Wear gloves and socks. They can help protect your hands and feet from drying when it’s cold outside.
- Pamper them with moisturizers and masks. Choose products that are formulated especially for dry skin.
- In only minutes, enjoy smooth, balanced, healthy-looking hands after applying an AVEENO® Nourishing Hand Mask. These masks are loaded with prebiotic moisturizing oat to soothe and soften dry skin.
4. Grice EA, Segre JA, The human microbiome: our second genome. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2012;13:151-70.
5. Kong HH, Segre JA. Skin microbiome: looking back to move forward. J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:933-939.
6. Effects of topical lotions on the atopic dermatitis skin microbiome and associations with itch and skin barrier function. Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. poster presentation at the 76th Annual Society for Investigative Dermatology (SID) Meeting: April 26-29, 2017; Portland, OR, USA.
7. Fermentation of colloidal oatmeal by cutaneous bacteria results in enhanced production of lactic acid and short chain fatty acids. Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. poster presentation at the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting, 16-20 February 2018, San Diego, California, USA.