Soothe, Don’t Scratch.
Solution Related Products
Formulated to contain natural ingredients, each of our Anti-Itch products helps provide soothing relief for your minor skin irritations such as poison ivy, insect bites, and chicken pox.
Is the urge to scratch your itchy skin sometimes overwhelming? Mosquito bites, chickenpox and chronic skin conditions like eczema can make it really hard to resist. Scratching may give some temporary itch relief, but too much scratching could break the skin, causing an infection.
In the end, it doesn’t matter how much scratching you do—it won’t stop the itch from returning. If you find yourself constantly thinking about the itch, or if you're damaging your skin by scratching, it’s time for some anti-itch strategies.
Experts recommend the following anti-itch tips:1,2
- Avoid things that make you itch. Wool clothing, an overly warm room, too many hot baths or exposure to harsh cleansers can all be triggers.
- Apply something cold to your itchy skin, like a wet cloth or ice pack. Leave it on for about 5 to 10 minutes or until you feel some relief.
- Take an oatmeal bath. This can be very soothing, especially for blisters or oozing skin caused by chickenpox, hives, poison ivy or sunburn.
- Moisturize daily. At least once per day, apply a moisturizer that is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.
- Use creams, lotions or gels that soothe and cool the skin. If you have red, itchy skin, ask your doctor if you could benefit from a non-prescription corticosteroid cream for short-term use.
- Try over-the-counter allergy medicine. Some of these drugs can make you drowsy and may be helpful at night if your itchy skin keeps you awake.
- Use a humidifier. A humidifier may provide some relief if the heating in your home makes the air dry.
For poison ivy/oak/sumac, insect bites and chicken pox rash try the AVEENO® Anti-Itch Lotion. This anti-itch lotion with Triple Oat Complex provides fast-acting, soothing relief from many minor skin irritations such as poison ivy/oak/sumac, insect bites and chicken pox rash. It also has calamine to dry up the weepy rashes.
The itch from eczema is different than the itch from a bug bite or poison ivy. AVEENO® Eczema Care Itch Relief Balm temporarily protects and helps relieve itching caused by eczema. This unique formula intensely moisturizes to help strengthen the skin’s natural moisture barrier. Awarded the Eczema Society of Canada’s Seal of Acceptance.
Also try AVEENO® Soothing Bath Treatment and AVEENO® Eczema Care Moisturizing Cream for relief from symptoms of eczema. These products soothe:
Available in steroid- and fragrance-free formulations. Gentle enough for daily use.