Remember being 15? However you might have imagined your future self, you probably pictured being acne free by now.
Nobody anticipates breakouts much beyond adolescence, yet studies suggest 35% of women in their 30s experience it, and in some cases people into their 50s can be affected.
So what can you do about it?
To reduce breakouts and improve the look of your skin, start thinking about the causes of adult acne, and which ones could apply to you.
To get you started, here are five common causes of adult acne.
- Cosmetics - Certain makeups and creams can make acne worse. If you have acne-prone skin, always look for products that say “oil-free” or “non-comedogenic” to avoid clogging pores, and avoid applying makeup too thick.
- Sweating - The main causes of acne are blocked pores and an excess production of oil in the skin. Sweat is similar to cosmetics in that it can clog pores, and attract dust and dirt to stick to moist skin. The next time you exercise, make sure to wear loose fitting clothes and always take a shower after sweating from your workout.
- Over-washing, Frequent washing may seem like a good idea, but over-washing can actually irritate your skin and make acne worse, especially when harsh soaps or cleansers are used. Washing your face twice a day with a mild cleanser for acne-prone skin is enough to keep your skin clean. Over-washing can dry out the skin, increasing the production of sebum, leading to further breakouts.
- Hormonal shifts, Hormonal shifts that occur due to menstruation, ovulation, pregnancy or menopause, can also increase the risk of breakouts. With the change of hormones, excess oil production and skin inflammation can become more commonplace. Several acne medications may not be suitable during pregnancy, so a cleanser and moisturizer can be a great alternative.
- Medication There are also some medications that can also cause acne, like certain oral corticosteroids. This type of breakout often looks different from regular acne. Regular acne tends to be characterized by various sizes of lesions. Acne caused by medication tends to produce pimples that are the same size and shape.
Have you been affected by any of these causes of acne? Whether you’re a teen or an adult, acne can be embarrassing. For more beauty tips and advice, be sure to check out the Aveeno Canada YouTube channel.
Help even out your acne prone skin with the AVEENO® CLEAR COMPLEXION® line of skincare products. AVEENO® CLEAR COMPLEXION® skincare products work to clear your skin and prevent blemishes, leaving you with glowing skin.